Sunday, July 5, 2009

What is Lefse?






Norwegian lefse (pronounced 'lef-suh') is a potato tortilla. It’s basically riced potatoes and flour rolled flat, and cooked dry. Since potato lefse is somewhat time-consuming to make, it is usually reserved for special holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. However, with the right Norwegian lefse recipes and tools, rolling pins, and a heavy-duty potato ricer—traditional Norwegian lefse can be an anytime treat!
I helped Mom make lefse by cooking it right on the top of the wood cook stove (Dad retrofitted the cook stove from wood to oil burning), Mom did the mixing of the dough, rolling with the special rolling pin and I cooked it with the special sword (lefse flipper that Dad carved). I made sure I messed a few sheets of Lefse up and I would get to eat those fresh. I soon learned that I couldn’t mess up very many sheets; it was too much work for Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Darrell - fun blog! I was actually introduced to lefse by a TMC student that we hosted who was from Canwood, SK. Her mom gave her a care package of lefse and she taught us to eat them slightly warmed up in the microwave, with butter and white sugar sprinkled on top - it was soooo yummy! I wish I had the tools & ability to make them - I didn't realize they were such hard work!

    ReplyDelete